Onboarding new starters
The following checklist is to be used as a reminder of the admin tasks needed to onboard a new member to the DevOps team. These should be done after the University's onboarding tasks for any new member of staff.
Performed by manager or admin staff before start date¶
- Add to the corresponding DevOps subgroup within DevOps Division lookup group
- Add to the UIS group and any other relevant groups on MS Teams
- Add to the regular meetings they are expected to attend
Performed by manager or peer before start date¶
- Add to GitLab group
- Add as a viewer or admin as appropriate for Google Cloud resources
- Add to https://gitlab.developers.cam.ac.uk/uis/devops/docs/general/ so the new starter can follow the onboarding instructions
Add to the relevant Google Shared Drives:
- Invite to 1password and add to appropriate vaults.
Performed by the new starter¶
Follow the instructions for the first time setup of Raven.
- Activate your Microsoft account, it may take some hours before it is ready
Subscribe to appropriate lists by searching for them in sympa search. Note that with some you will need to wait for approval.
- social (various, optional)
- Create a 4096 bit RSA key if you don't already have a preferred one
- Add your SSH public key to gitlab to allow for git over SSH
Open Merge Requests as appropriate to add your key to the various resources
team-data where the meaning of admin, deploy and view can be found at ...
- ansible-roles which will only be needed if you are dealing with legacy systems
You may want to at least:
- Open a Merge Request in the team-data project on GitLab adding yourself as a DevOps team deploy user.
- Re-encrypt ansible vault passwords, see setting up GPG to decrypt secrets for guidance
- Add public GPG key to team public keyring
- Update the guidebook - copy the updated file
There are more detailed instructions in the general docs to add your GPG key.